|Smashed Crispy Potatoes with Roasted Broccoli, Mushrooms & Creme Fraiche|
If you know me well, then you know I have a thing for mushrooms.
Ever since I was a little girl, my mom used to yell at me in the kitchen and swat my hand when I reached into her mixing bowls to pick out the mushrooms when she wasn't looking, even before the dish was cooked.
And now, as a grown woman, my love for mushrooms has lead to even bigger problems:
an expensive love for truffles, truffle oils and exotic mushrooms galore.
This side dish recipe incorporates two of my obsessions combined: mushrooms & potatoes.
But the roasted broccoli takes it to an even higher level.
Add in a dash of Creme Fraiche and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan
and it becomes absolute heaven!
**Caution** The key is portion control here.
Any leftovers can be dangerous. They won't last long.
Step 1: Preheat an oven to 450 degrees.
I mixed freshly sliced Baby Bella mushrooms with stems (nothing exotic here) and chopped broccoli florets in bite size pieces (not too large).
For the potatoes I used round gold Yukon potatoes in sizes that fit in the palm of your hand and aren't too large.
Place potatoes in a large pot with enough cold water to cover, adding salt and bring to a boil. Boil potatoes until softened and fork tender. Drain.
Step 2: Smash & Roast
Line a baking sheet with tin foil & very lightly brush with olive oil.
Place the seasoned mushroom & broccoli mixture to one side of the baking sheet,
leaving plenty of room for the smashed potatoes.
Place the boiled potatoes on the baking sheet, spaced apart with plenty of room.
With a potato masher, mash the top of the potato very gently, only pressing about 1/3rd of the way down.
Now turn the masher 90 degrees and continue to mash another 1/2 of the way down.
Now the potato should be smashed and spread but still in 1 piece (similar to a cookie).
Generously brush the tops with olive oil.
Sprinkle the potatoes with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
Roast all ingredients at 450 degrees until browning and crispy.
The mushrooms & broccoli occasionally roast faster than the potatoes, so watch carefully and remove them prior to the potatoes if needed.
The potatoes are done when the peaks are nice and golden brown throughout.
Load the tops of the potatoes with roasted mushrooms & broccoli, a spoonful of Creme Fraiche (I prefer...or swap for low fat sour cream if desired) and add a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.
Healthy Smashed & Roasted Potatoes (Fully Loaded!)
Recipe serves 4-6.
-1/2 head of broccoli florets (stems cut), chopped into bite size pieces
-1 cup sliced mushrooms, sliced with stems intact (button, Baby Bella, crimini, or white mushrooms)
-1 pound gold round Yukon potatoes, washed with skins intact (each size should fit in the palm of your hand)
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil
-Kosher Salt & fresh ground Black Pepper to taste
-1/4 cup grated Parmesan
-1/4 cup Creme Fraiche (or reduced fat sour cream)
Preparation & Cooking instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the sliced mushooms, chopped broccoli florets, olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil, add salt to taste. Boil uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain.
4. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and lightly coat the foil with olive oil, using a basting or pastry brush.
5. Place the seasoned mushroom & broccoli mixture to one side of the baking sheet, leaving plenty of room for the smashed potatoes.
6. Place each potato on the baking sheet, leaving plenty of room in between each potato.
7. With a potato masher, mash the top of the potato about 1/3rd of the way day. Rotate the masher 90 degrees and continue to small gently another 1/2 of the way down. Potatoes should be smashed but still intact (similar to a cookie).
8. Generously brush the tops of the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.
9. Roast all ingredients in a 450 degree oven for approximately 12-16 minutes or until edges are roasted and browning. If mushrooms & broccoli are roasted quicker then potatoes, remove, cooking potatoes longer until browning and crispy.
10. Remove from oven. Top potatoes with mushrooms & broccoli and a spoonful of Creme Fraiche (or sour cream).
11. Garnish with grated Parmigiano and serve immediately.