|Orecchiette with Peas, Panchetta & Mint in a Parmesan cream sauce|
Over the years, I have learned to master the art of culinary perfection
within a very small window of opportunity: squeezed in between an excruciating long workday and a much needed night of sleep.
With just a few simple key ingredients, you can turn a late week-night meal into an unforgettable one.
In this dish, I am incorporating some of my favorite flavors all together:
Peas, Panchetta, Mint, Cream, White Wine & Parmesan
...along with a deliciously light but hearty Orecchiette pasta.
I love this pasta. The shapes are so cute and they almost act as little bowls which cup all the beautiful ingredients together.
This is the kind of effortless dish you'd want to just sit on the couch with a bowl of and unwind from a long day.
I'd call this my comfort food at it's best.
|A perfect harmony of comforting flavors all in one bite!|
**Side note: Add shaved brussels sprouts to the sauce of this dish,
and it get's taken to a whole other level!
Orecchiette with Peas, Panchetta & Mint in a Parmesan Cream sauce.
Recipe serves 6. Preparation: 5 min. Cooking time: 25 min.
1 pound (16 ounce box) DE CECCO Orecchiette pasta
1 (10-14 ounce bag) frozen sweet green peas
1 (4 ounce) package of Diced Panchetta
4 tablespoons freshly chopped Mint leaves
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup dry White wine
1/4 cup low sodium Chicken Stock (optional)
1/4 cup Heavy Cream (may also be substituted with Light Cream or fat-free Half & Half!)
Freshly ground salt & pepper
Freshly shredded Parmigiano
Preparation & Cooking instructions:
1. In a large pot of salted boiling water, add Orecchiette pasta. Boil 11 min. until al dente, stirring occasionally.
Drain once cooked, reserving a small amount of the cooking liquid to create a base for the sauce.
2. In a small skillet, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add diced Panchetta to the skillet, season with salt & pepper. Saute the panchetta until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Lower heat to medium-low. De-glaze the pan with White Wine, stirring Panchetta to incorporate. Simmer, reducing the wine for 3 minutes.
4. Add in the Frozen Peas and Chicken Stock (optional). Stir and simmer for an additional 5 minutes until the Peas are completely thawed and cooked.
5. Add in the Cream to the sauce, simmer for 1 minute and turn off the heat.
6. Pour the Panchetta & Pea sauce over the pasta & add small amount of pasta cooking liquid. Stir in the chopped Mint and a handful of shredded Parmesan.